The Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation (POMF) is pleased to announce the recipients of its annual scholarship program for the 2018 year.
Over the last 30 years, The Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation has helped hundreds of students obtain a higher education through our college scholarship program. Each year we receive an increasing number of applications, proving that the children of Texas Law Enforcement Officers value the continuation of their education.
This year, there was a total of fifteen scholarships awarded to students around the state with over 60 applicants in total who applied. Scholarships were awarded to graduating seniors and students enrolled in a full-time college or university.
While all of the 2018 candidates were very qualified, the Committee ultimately selected those who indicated academic dedication, participated in well-rounded extra-curricular activities, and submitted the strongest essays,” Rita Ostrander of The POMF Scholarship Committee said. “Unfortunately, we could not award scholarships to each candidate, but we were incredibly impressed by all those who participated.”
The recipients of the 2018 Peace Officers’ Memorial Scholarship are as follows:
- Kate Johnson – Arlington, $500 Scholarship
- Harvy Mejia – Brownsville, $500 Scholarship
- Andrew Leeton – Corpus Christi, $500 Scholarship
- Christiana Silva – El Paso, $500 Scholarship
- Madilynn Sheffield – Amarillo, $500 Scholarship
- Brittany West – Seabrook, $500 Scholarship
- Katie McKee – Nacogdoches, $500 Scholarship
- Allison McKee – Nacogdoches, $500 Scholarship
- Wesley Ramirez – Kyle, $500 Scholarship
- Shelby Langehennig – Detroit, $500 Scholarship
- Trevor Gruetzner – Elgin, $500 Scholarship
- Diego Muzquiz – San Antonio, $500 Scholarship
- Marcos Villegas – Floresville, $500 Scholarship
- Allison Nolan – Burleson, $500 Scholarship
- Ethan Jaso – El Paso, $500 Scholarship
“It has been our sacred honor to have a small role in helping to encourage the higher education goals of the children of Texas law enforcement,” Charley Wilkison, CLEAT Executive Director said. “Our hope is to award scholarships in every region of Texas and to help make the dream of going to a college or university a reality.”
The mission of the Peace Officers’ Memorial Foundation is to honor and remember the law enforcement heroes who have given the ultimate sacrifice while protecting the citizens of Texas. The POMF not only offers college scholarships, but also sponsors the Annual Memorial Services at the Texas State Capitol and supports research to find all Texas Peace Officers who have made the ultimate sacrifice throughout Texas’ history.