2017 Texas Peace Officers Memorial
Preparations have begun for the 2017 Texas Peace Officers Memorial Service and Candlelight Vigil. These services will be held in Austin, Texas at the State Capitol. The following information is for your consideration in making plans for your individual department to attend these activities.
Below is information regarding each ceremony and specific information for those that wish to participate in the events.
2017 Candlelight Vigil
The Candlelight Vigil will be held at the site of the Texas Peace Officers Memorial Monument on the northeast side of the Capitol. This event will be on Sunday April 30th, 2017 at 7:30pm.
2017 Peace Officers Memorial
The Peace Officers Memorial will be held on Monday May 1st, 2017 at the south steps of the Capitol. The event will begin with a procession that begins on the Congress Avenue Bridge at about 10:30am. The procession will consist of Color Guard Teams, Motorcycle Officers, law enforcement motorcycle groups, and a combined Pipe and Drum Corps. If you wish to be involved with any of these groups please see the specific instructions below.
- Color Guard Teams – Will need to report to Congress Avenue Bridge at 9:30am for lineup. If you wish to participate please contact Sgt. Jim Armstrong of the Houston Police Department by April 24th, 2017. His contact information is email@example.com. You can also contact Gene Sealy of the Houston Police Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once they compile a list of the participating agencies they will have a random drawing in order to determine placement order in the procession. Those teams that do not contact them prior to April 24th will be assigned behind the registered teams in the order they arrive. Additionally, we will be providing bus service to the bridge this time so that participating teams don’t have to park up near the Capitol and then walk all the way down to the bridge. Honor Guard teams can park at the state parking garage at 13th/San Jacinto. We will have a shuttle buses from Capital Metro pick officers up there and transport them down to the bridge. We will station an Austin PD officer at 13th/San Jacinto who will be in contact with the bus drivers to help facilitate pickup times.
- Motorcycle Officers – Will need to report to the Congress Avenue Bridge at 9:30am. Lt. Keith Suitt of the Austin Police Department will be responsible for lining up the motors. He may be contacted at email@example.com
- Law Enforcement Motorcycle groups – (i.e. Blue Knights) Are welcome to attend and participate. Appropriate dress is required. Participants should wear a white shirt with their vest. Helmets are required as well. DJ Alvarez will serve as the liaison person for the Blue Knight representatives his contact information is 281-642-8716 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Bicycle Officers – Will need to report to Congress Avenue Bridge at 9:30am. Officer Steven Bazany of the San Antonio Police Department will be responsible for lining up all bicycle officers. He may be contacted at email@example.com.
- Pipe and Drum Corps – Any bagpipers or drummers that wish to participate should contact Detective Brent Kelly of the Austin Police Department as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-974-3760. He will give you the music set that will be played at the Candlelight Vigil and in the procession up Congress Avenue.
- Mounted Patrol Officers – Any mounted police officers wishing to take part in the procession up Congress Avenue should contact Sgt. Adam Johnson of the Austin Police Department. Adam.email@example.com or 512-921-2475
The Hilton Hotel located at 500 E. 4th Street will be the law enforcement hotel. Call 512-482-8000 and ask for the Peace Officer Memorial Rate, or click here to make reservations online. Reservations need to be made no later than April 6th, 2017.
Additional rooms will be available at the LaQuinta Hotels located at 4424 S. Mopac Expressway 512-899-300 and 7625 E. Ben White Blvd. 512-386-6800.
If you have any other questions that you need answered please contact Sr. Sgt. Tim Kresta of the Austin Police Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-695-1491.